(For 6 – 8 Servings)
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
For the Cake:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, juice, zest
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Cake Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup slivered marcona almonds
powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Grease and flour a 9″ cake round—set aside.
2. Beat together the eggs and sugar until very pale and fluffy; about 5 minutes using an electric mixer.
3. Slowly stream in the olive oil and lemon juice into the eggs and sugar mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure you get down to the bottom of the bowl so everything is incorporated well.
5. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes. Let cake cool in pan slightly before inverting onto a cake plate.
6. In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
7. Sprinkle the almonds generously over the top and dust with powdered sugar. Top with whipped cream to serve.